Director of Engineering, USA (internal applications only)
Please refer to the Internal Application process
With offices in Sydney, Christchurch, Auckland, and Boulder, Trineo delivers custom technology solutions for global organi[sz]ations. Our work tackles system integration and data brokering, API development, and highly specific customer and employee applications. As an agile team, we present a complete service offering -- with senior advisory services, product and project management, business analysis, UX, and engineering. We’re known for our ability to ship valuable work into production in complex and challenging environments.
We believe the best work is done when everyone is aligned with shared values, no matter the different backgrounds, skill sets, experiences, and dreams we bring. Our culture is ever-changing, evolving with every new Trineo, but our ways of working are based on values that remain steady.
Last but not least, Trineo is proudly a Certified B Corporation, joining the growing number of companies using business as a force for good. Certified B Corporations meet rigorous standards of verified social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance purpose and profit. This enables us to put our values into action by not only making decisions for the benefit of our shareholders, but also for our customers, environment, employees, community, and planet.
About the role
Here’s the thing. A small (lowercase-a) agile team will run rings around a traditional software development team. They adapt to change, make quick decisions, communicate well and are simply more effective.
This insight continues to guide us after 11 years as a boutique software consultancy. Our teams blend product, design, and engineering thinking to deliver sustained competitive advantage to our customers through the thoughtful creation of high-quality software.
We solve hard problems. Our work involves the meaningful application of customer identity & access management and event-driven, API based systems to manage data (lots of data). On these we build thoughtfully designed web and mobile applications using modern engineering patterns and software to deliver digital experiences for employees and customers alike.
We’re looking for a Director of Engineering to continue to build and lead an experienced, high performing team of engineers with a diverse set of backgrounds, and foster a collaborative, learning culture in our “Bespoke” Practice.
Above all, you’ll take responsibility for designing the environment in which our engineering team thrives. Everything below is in service of this goal.
What you’ll do
Below and other things you wish to achieve will form part of specific OKRs / quarterly goals and tactical objectives that you will take ownership of.
- Grow our culture of quality, vocally advocating for technical excellence and helping teams make good (technical and otherwise) decisions.
- Coach and develop the team; engineering managers, leads and individual contributors, as you help them to establish clear priorities and address technical, resource, and people concerns.
- Identify promising opportunities to improve the developer experience across the practice through systems, tools, and training.
- Provide technical guidance for projects; asking business and product questions of the teams and acting as a reviewer, sounding board, and sparring partner for architectural decisions.
- Partner with the delivery team to establish and manage a people strategy and plan (# of people, skills needed, depth of experience) consistent with the needs of the Practice, as reflected in our new business pipeline.
- Partner with our Talent Acquisition Manager to find, interview, and hire individuals that meet our high technical bar and will be valuable culture adds to the team.
- Together with the Head of Technology and Operations, continue to develop and build upon the Bespoke developer career ladder and our processes for building capabilities and opportunities to grow, setting goals, and measuring growth in ways that are fair and consistent.
- Stay in touch with the spirit of the team and advocate for their wellbeing.
- Occasionally contribute to development tasks as a way of gaining an understanding of the deeply technical solutions we build, to keep your technical acumen sharp, and most of all, for the fun of it.
- Spend time researching and experimenting with new technologies, conveying what you learn, and seeking input to provide recommendations on potential new strategic directions. With the team, design approaches to implement new technology with our customers - balancing opportunities to learn with meeting customers' expectations.
- Curating a balanced (from those starting their journey to highly experience) and diverse engineering team.
- Finding opportunities to participate with and support the engineering community in your region.
- Typically, three or more years as a successful engineering leader.
- Positive, humble, leader of teams and initiatives that focus on people.
- Proactive in foreseeing issues and addressing them before they happen.
- You recognise the impact you can have as a multiplier and have a passion for teams and team members’ success, and that this can only happy through the facilitation of, and participation in, collaboration with those around you.
- Technical engineering manager, who enjoys working closely day-to-day with teams who are building and delivering.
- Appreciate the constraints of running a profitable business, paired with the benefits of a healthy work-life balance.
- Care deeply about fostering an environment where people of all backgrounds and experiences can flourish and do their best work.
- Want to be part of a culture that demands openness and transparency, but also rewards it and bends over backward to make it safe and comfortable.
- Are driven and goal-oriented, but not obsessed with quantifying all of your achievements.
- Think in probabilities and tradeoffs, and work to understand the downsides of decisions you make before you make them.
- Love to have fun at work, and understand that a strong team and business performance are what make that possible.
We're an agile, dynamic company and this job description isn't meant to be a complete list of your qualifications or all of the things you'll do.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Trineo is a place where everyone can grow. So however you identify, and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day.
Trineo is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.
Approximate Salary Range (Depending on Experience)
$164,000 - $229,000